Friday, May 28, 2010

Peanut-Butter-Scotch Pretzels

Oh man, it's finally happened. I've got LOSTmania.

My older brother and I made a deal this week: He watches Doctor Who, if I watch LOST. I spent the ENTIRE day watching episodes. I was so into it, in fact, that I forgot that today was Sweet Day!

So, looking for something simple to whip up, I settled for something that I haven't made in a couple of years: Peanut butter butterscotch dipped pretzels! (Or peanut-butter-scotch for short.)

Sorry for the sideways picture! I can't get it to rotate.

They're really easy to do, but also time consuming. It took me an hour to dip about 40 mini pretzels, which filled one cookie sheet. They're sooo tasty, though. Mom and I first made these as a seasonal treat, but I figured that I'd mix it up and make them now!

Everything was fine, except for the dip itself. It was a little on the thick side, and for whatever reason stayed slightly lumpy. Afraid to overcook it though, I simply left it. Someone trying this recipe on their own might add a tablespoon (or two?) of solid vegetable shortening to help smooth it out.

Note: Another great thing about making these is that it makes the house smell like butterscotch!

Peanut-Butter-Scotch Pretzel Recipe
  • One bag of pretzels (mini or full sized, your preference)
  • One 11oz package of butterscotch morsels (found in the baking aisle with chocolate chips)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter

Preparation

  • Melt the peanut butter and the entire bag of butterscotch morsels together.
  • Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
  • Drop some pretzels into the mix, and coat well. Using a fork for regular pretzels, or a toothpick for mini-pretzels, gently shake off the excess coating and leave on the wax paper to dry.
  • For a little extra oomph, put them in the fridge. Being chilled makes the coating more firm.

Well, that's it! I'm giving it the 'quick and easy' tab even though it isn't neccessarily quick. With so few ingredients and instructions, though, it definitely deserves the 'easy'!

1 comment: