Friday, June 4, 2010

Lemon Cookies

Well, this was a coincidence! I was in the mood for something lemon so I decided to make lemon cookies. When I went to the store to buy the ingredients I needed, a bright yellow sign greeted me: The sign for Alex's Lemonade Stand.

Each year the foundation sets up a stand outside of the grocery store where I work (among other places) and sells cups of lemonade to raise money for childhood cancer. Check out the site!

Back to the topic at hand, I made lemon cookies! They came out much more cakey than I expected them to, but they were still good.

They didn't spread as much as I thought they would, either. I used a tablespoon (measuring spoon) to scoop the dough. After doing this, I suggest flattening them down some, because they do rise a little but they don't spread, so flattening them will make them more even.

Another reason to flatten them: It makes the cookie more round. In the pictures you can tell the difference between the ones I pressed, and the ones that I simply lumped-- they're the ones that came out more jagged. Having them flat adds a little extra to the presentation.

The cookie recipe is from one recipe online, and the icing recipe is from another. Both were found on Cooks.com but I tweaked both of them so much that I couldn't find the originals later!
Lemon Cookie Recipe

  • Cookie Recipe
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c. lemon juice
  • 1/2 lemon rind, grated
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • Icing Recipe
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp milk (with a little extra on-hand to get the right consistency)

Preparation

  • Cream sugar and shortening.
  • Add the egg and beat until fluffy.
  • Add lemon juice and grated rind, beat together.
  • Beat in baking soda and baking powder.
  • Mix in the flour, alternating with the milk.
  • Chill for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Use a tablespoon to scoop the dough (against the side of the bowl to flatten it) and drop onto a cookie sheet. Flatten with your fingers slightly.
  • Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cool.
  • Blend together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
  • Slowly add milk until you get a proper consistency for icing.
  • Drizzle over the cookies.


Proof that I put effort into the display pictures I take. (;

1 comment: