Monday, October 11, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

CONGRATS, DEREK AND NYSSA!

My co-worker Derek proposed to his girlfriend on the 9th, and she said yes!

He actually asked me to take anniversary pictures and engagement pictures for them (He asked her the day of their 5.5 year anniversary) and requested that I also make her favorite dessert -- Red velvet cake -- as a bonus. Typically, I'd whine about how much stress I'd be under to do it all, but this was a big day, you know?
So I took a page out of the "Semi-homemade" book, and bought a boxed cake mix but made the frosting myself.

Since I've really started focusing on baking, I've had a hard time eating those jarred frostings you buy at the store. Now, if I'm in the right mood I can gobble down the chocolate frosting with no problem. But the canned cream cheese frosting.... ugh. Just ugh.
The frosting I made was AMAZING. I almost kept the cake for myself, but that wouldn't be right.. I like my cream cheese frosting much more cream-cheesy, and less sugary-sweet. Apparently it's the same recipe my mom uses, except she uses a few cups more of powdered sugar.

This was also my first time decorating a cake!! I don't make them often (ever) so it was fun! I'm surprised at how pretty it came out. Very regal, or at least I'll convince myself that it is.
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
  • One box red velvet cake mix
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 c water
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil

Preparation

  • Prepare cake according to box directions.
  • Let cool completely. If needed, cut off the rounded tops (for 2 - 9in cakes) before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

  • Note: I mixed the recipe to have 1.5 the amount it originally called for, in order to have enough to pipe the decor on. If you don't plan on this, remove a third of the recipe from your measurements.
  • 3 (8oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
  • 3/4 c butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Preparation

  • In large bowl (medium if using 2/3 of the recipe) cream together the cream cheese and butter.
  • Mix in vanilla.
  • Slowly add in powdered sugar, stirring the edges constantly to make sure it's evenly distributed.

Note: You should store this cake in the fridge because of the frosting. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment