Monday, September 6, 2010

No Bake Cookies

Happy Labor Day!

In the spirit of Labor Day, and being off work, I decided to put the least amount of effort possible into baking. Well that, and I wanted to make something quick and fool-proof to take to my writing group tonight (as a reward for the people who show up on a holiday!)

Not wanting to go to the store, I decided to bake with what I had around the house, and wound up re-discovering no bake cookies! I haven't made them for yeaaars.
Mine ALWAYS seem to come out a little crumbly, but I boiled them for a little less time than normal. I added more oats than I meant to though, so that defeated the purpose!

Afraid that they'd be dry, I melted some peanut butter and drizzled it over them. Super cute!

Now, Wilton's makes this thing called Peanut Butter Drizzle Icing, and I found it on sale (discontinued, I believe) so I bought it awhile ago. It tastes...funky. Like a bad peanut butter icing. After reading the ingredients list, I'm convinced that it's sugar, chemically altered to taste like peanut butter.
So, even if you see something like this, I suggest just taking the 45 seconds extra to melt the peanut butter.

No Bake Cookie Recipe

  • 1 3/4 c white sugar
  • 1/2 c milk
  • 1/2 c (1 stick) butter
  • 4 T cocoa powder
  • 3/4 c peanut butter (I prefer creamy)
  • 3 cups quick oats

Preparation

  • Line two cookie sheets with waxed paper; set aside.
  • Combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa powder in medium sauce pan over high heat. Stir often to combine.
  • Bring to a rolling boil. Once it begins to boil, heat one minute longer, stirring often still.
  • Remove from heat. Add peanut butter and stir until melted/combined.
  • Stir in 2 1/2 c oats, then slowly add in the rest of the oats, or enough to get the consistency you desire.
  • Drop immediately onto the waxed paper, in whatever size you prefer. Leave to cool.

Optional Peanut Butter Drizzle

  • Melt about 1/2 c peanut butter on 50% heat in the microwave for 45 seconds, stirring halfway through.
  • Pour into a Zip-Loc bag. Snip off a small corner of the bag.
  • Drizzle!



1 comment: