Monday, September 20, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Cookies

I got another new cookbook! This one is just called The Cookie Bible and it has amaaazing recipes in it. I already marked about a dozen pages that I want to try straight away.
The first recipe I tried is called HUNGARIAN Lemon Poppyseed Cookies. I'm not really sure what makes them Hungarian, but that doesn't really matter, does it?

Whoever tested this recipe didn't record it right though, I don't think. It says to measure them by 'heaping teaspoons', and then says to bake for 11-12 minutes, which overcooked them. It also says that it makes 2 dozen cookies, and it made a little more than 3 dozen for me. So I'm going to adjust the recipe for you! For this recipe, you'll need just one lemon, too.

Maaan, these things are great. I'm taking them to my writing group, but I want to keep them all for myself. But then, I'm addicted to anything lemon, so that's why!

Lemon Poppyseed Cookie Recipe
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp grated lemon peel
  • 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp poppyseeds

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Beat granulated sugar and butter until creamy.
  • Beat in egg and lemon peel.
  • Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl. Add gradually to first mixture.
  • Beat in poppyseeds on low speed until fully combined.
  • Drop by teaspoon full, 2" apart on a baking sheet-- cookies will spread.
  • Bake 7-9 minutes, until edges are lightly browned.
  • Let cool 1 minute on sheet before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

Lemon Glaze Recipe

  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice

Preparation

  • Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice.
  • Blend until fully mixed.
  • Put into a small zip-loc bag, and cut off a small corner. Drizzle over cooled cookies.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite cookies – although instead of measuring out the zest, I just zest an entire lemon for each batch. I like the extra flavor.


    The batches are pretty small – I would make at least a double batch and maybe even a triple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just realized this says to bake for 7 to 9 minutes. That's not nearly long enough. My original recipe said 11 to 12 minutes. But if you bake on a stone, you'll want to 13 or 14 minutes – probably 14 if the stone is not preheated. Keep an eye on it, though – you DO you want the edges slightly browned – otherwise the cookies will be under done. Enjoy.

      Delete