Friday, September 17, 2010

Devilled Eggs

Bonus treat!


I had some eggs in the fridge that were nearing their time (8 out of 12..I'm bad at eating eggs), when I was smacked in the face with a 2x4 of an idea: Devilled eggs!

These are things that, believe it or not, have a special meaning to me.

Aside from being the most delicious form of egg on the planet, we only made them in my house when they were going somewhere else-- Easter dinner, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve dinner, and so on. Strictly an "entire family" sort of hors d'oeuvres (Which I like to pronounce as "hors doov-ruh" when the mood strikes me.)
When mom makes them, she never measures. I figured I could get some good out of making them, because I actually figured out how much to put in. Now, some people go crazy, what with the relish and the paprika and the other nonsense that DOES NOT BELONG IN A DEVILLED EGG. I keep it simple! Enjoy.

Devilled Egg Recipe

  • 8 eggs (Because this is how many the recipe is measured for)
  • 1/2 c Miracle Whip
  • 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
  • Dash of salt, a few dashes pepper

Preparation

  • Hard-boil your eggs as follows:
  • Put eggs in a large pan, and fill with water until just covered.
  • Put on a burner at high heat, and bring to a boil all at once.
  • Once at a rolling boil, let boil for 1 1/2 minutes.
  • Remove from heat, and let sit in water for 15 minutes.
  • Carefully pour out hot water, and fill the pan with cold water. Either let the water run for 10 minutes or so, or drop some ice cubes in to make sure the egg temperature is brought back down.
  • Note: My egg yolks always come out with that grey ring-- I don't really mind. At least I know for certain that they're cooked this way.
  • Once cold, crack and peel away the shells. Dry eggs with paper towel.
  • Slice eggs length-wise in half, putting the yolks into a large bowl and the eggs on a plate or paper towel, cut-side up.
  • Use a fork (or electric mixer) to break up the yolks.
  • Add in Miracle Whip, mustard, salt and pepper.
  • Mix well with a fork (or mixer) until completely blended and soft, instead of lumpy.
  • Spoon, or pipe, into the egg halves.

1 comment: