Monday, November 29, 2010

Oreo Snowmen

So I've repeated the Oreo Balls recipe yet again, but come on-- how cute are these little snowmen!
I wanted to take something fun to my writing group, and they'd been requesting more oreo balls since I took in the oreo ghosts, so in response to the chilly weather today I whipped these guys up.
At first I made them the size of regular oreo balls, but I was running short on time, so I figured 15 huge ones were easier to dip than 30 little ones. And they were! Then I used a regular toothpick to carve the eyes and mouth. But first went on the nose! For the nose, I melted one square of almond bark and then used a gel-based food coloring to turn it orange. The noses were about the size of a pencil eraser (the visible part on a new pencil, not the whole eraser.) I used a toothpick to dab some globs of A.B. onto a piece of wax paper, and used the toothpick to get the right shape.

These are my favorite oreo creations yet! If anyone can think of any more shapes to try, let me know!

Speaking of favorites, here are some of the members of my favorite group! (Thanks for posing for me!!)


Oreo Snowmen Recipe

  • 1 package Oreos, crushed
  • 1 package full-fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1 package white Almond Bark

Preparation

  • Either crush Oreos or blend in a food processor.
  • Using an electric mixer, blend cookies and the cream cheese together. Chill while working on the noses.
  • Melt one square from the Almond Bark block, then add in orange GEL-based dye until it reaches the color you want.
  • On a sheet of wax paper, use a toothpick to shape drops of a.b. and form to a rounded cone-like shape.
  • Leave those to harden and take the oreo mix from the fridge. On a separate sheet of wax paper, use your hands to roll mix into balls (mine were probably around two inches in circumference, but you can pick the size.) Put in freezer.
  • Chop and melt the remaining almond bark.
  • Drop balls into a.b., one by one. Use a plastic spoon to make sure it's completley covered, then use a toothpick to retreive it from the a.b. Tap off excess and place on wax paper to dry.
  • When mostly dry, press a dried nose into each ball. When completely dry, use a toothpick to create the coal-eyes and coal-mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment