Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pizza

One of my favorite things is going over to my older brother's house, to hang out with him and his girlfriend. Admittedly, it's mostly because they always have delicious foods. For Oscar night, they did not disappoint. We made pizza!My roommate was astonished when I told her that I'd never made pizza before, but... it's just something we didn't do when I was little. But hey, we got to make our own dough, so it was as close to baking as I could get!There are three great things about making pizza: 1) It's way cheaper than ordering a pizza, 2) You can make it exactly how you want it, 3) It can be a bonding experience!
My brother was watching the Oscars, oblivious to all but the screen, while his girlfriend and I were in the kitchen, kneading the dough for our pizzas. So fun!
She's a pro at kneading dough

Next time I'm going to make a pizza with provel cheese. According to Wikipedia, it's a processed cheese from a mix of cheddar, swiss, and provolone. The way I know it is a mix of provolone and mozzarella. Either way, it's my favorite!
Pizza Recipe

  • 1 envelope pizza yeast (we used Fleischmann's brand)
  • 1 c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2/3 c very warm water
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 1/2-3/4c flour
  • 1 can pizza sauce
  • 1 package cheese (ex: mozzarella, or provel)
  • Additional toppings

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 425
  • Grease a pizza pan.
  • Combine yeast, 1c flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
  • Add water and oil, and mix together until well blended, about 1 minute.
  • Gradually add remaining flour until a soft dough ball is formed; it will be slightly sticky. Add more flour if needed.
  • Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth and elastic, or about 4 minutes.
  • Press dough into the pizza pan, flattening until it fills the pan. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork.
  • Add desired amount of sauce, cheese, and toppings.
  • Bake 12-15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and the crust is brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment