Thursday, January 20, 2011

Slow Cooked Cinnamon Apples

I've made cinnamon apples before, but my roommate found a recipe for them, that came in our box of crock pot liners! So I figured, what better day to make them than on a day when I'm snowed in?
I will never get over how delicious they are. I've always been a big apple pie fan, but I'm also big on textures, and the crust always leaves a weird taste/feeling in my mouth. Ask my mom.. even today, if I have a piece of pie I'll eat the center out and leave the crust skeleton behind.
This recipe is really big. I didn't take it into account until I was washing/slicing/coring SIX apples. So if you're just making these for you, or you and one other person, definitely half the recipe.
The recipe says to serve them with vanilla ice cream, but since I work at a frozen yogurt shop, I figured I'd serve them with froyo instead. So tasty! I drizzled some of the excess cinnamon-juice over the froyo, and it tasted like fried ice cream! Definitely a great treat.
Slow Cooked Cinnamon Apples Recipe
  • 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges.
  • 1/2 c granulated sugar
  • 1/2 c packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • Optional: Vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt

Preparation

  • If using a crock pot liner, place snugly into crock pot.
  • Slice apples and place in a large bowl.
  • In a medium bowl, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  • 8 slices (1 apple) at a time, put into sugar mix and coat well, then put into the crock pot.
  • Once all apples are in, pour in remaining mixture, and drizzle with butter.
  • Place lid on crock pot.
  • Cook on low for 3 hours, or high for 2 hours.
  • Serve with vanilla ice cream/frozen yogurt, and top with extra cinnamon-juice if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment