Sunday, February 21, 2010

First Entry

So all the cool kids have blogs these days, right?
Well I'm hopping on the bandwagon!

Okay, so from what I gather about blogs, the first entry is always the basic stuff.
My name is Taylor*, I'm 22, and I attend the University of Kansas -- Rock Chalk!

I love baking, but it seems like I never have the time! The further I advance in school, the harder it is for me to find time to spend a couple of hours just...baking. But now I've made time!

A few weeks ago I was at Borders when I happened upon an amazing sight: Sitting on the clearance rack, marked down to $4.99, was The Cookie and Biscuit Bible. This book of over 500 pages with over 400 recipes was begging to be picked up, and that's just what I did! The book covers a huuuge expanse of recipes, from sugar cookies to fortune cookies to biscotti to scones. My intention is to a) Get my baking fix, and b) Learn new recipes!

So every Friday I intend to bust out a new recipe and try it! And why Friday? Because I only work on the weekends due to my classes, and this way I can feed my experiments to my co-workers! There's nothing quite like having co-workers constantly asking "Hey Taylor, when are you bringing treats in next?"


*To explain the title of my blog, I should also explain my "other" name. Back in my junior year of high school I took a creative writing class. One of the most common activities was pairing into groups, and our teacher would give us a "picture prompt"-- basically, we look at the picture, and create a dialogue for the people in it.

On one such occasion I was paired with my friend Brent and our characters were named as follows: Marzipan Pettyweather, and Jasper Tarnish. I think that Jasper has fallen off the face of the earth, but Marzipan Pettyweather stuck. She's a little smidge of nostalgia, and refuses to be forgotten. I even signed her name onto my Facebook.

Hence the adventures with marzipan, both because Marzipan is used in a few of the recipes within the book, and because I'm slightly psychotic.

Onto the cooking! Allons-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment