Monday, February 22, 2010

The Book

Unless otherwise noted, all of the recipes I'm trying are from The Cookie and Biscuit Bible.

The book was put together by three women: Catherine Atkinson, Joanna Farrow, and Valerie Barrett. Lovely women, in my opinion.
Oh man, I'm a poet!

Part of the reason I already love this book so much is attributed to the first 65 pages. It covers things that amateur bakers (like me) don't know: All of the different types of flour, different types of sugar, types of equipment, how to add various flavors, and more. It even tells how to follow certain directions-- I had no idea how to "rub-in" butter when it called for it in the recipe, but now I know thanks to page 25!

The book is also very British (I think) but does a great job of providing adjustments for American readers.
For example, in one recipe that calls for butter it asks for:
150g/5 oz/10 tbsp
The heat suggestion is: 160°C / 325°F / Gas 3
(I don't even know what Gas 3 is!)

There are also interesting differences between what particular foods are called.
Black treacle = Molasses
Bicarbonate of soda = Baking soda
Sultanas = Golden raisins
Muscovado sugar = Brown sugar

And the ones that make me smile!
Ice lolly sticks = Popsicle sticks
Digestive biscuits = Graham crackers

Then there are ingredients that I've never heard of before, such as carob powder, sunflower margarine, and orange flower water.

This is going to be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment