Sunday, January 9, 2011

Brown Bag Biscuits

My dad is off on a hunting trip, and as my mom says.. "While the cat's away, the mice can watch as much Harry Potter as they want!" So that's what we've been doing!

Last night we had giant, frozen strawberry daiquiris and watched Harry Potter and Despicable Me! And this morning, more Harry Potter. We also had bacon, eggs, and brown bag biscuits!

I haven't eaten these since junior high. They were one of the very first things that I learned to bake on my own!
While they're -called- brown bag biscuits, I didn't actually use a brown bag. That just spells a mess for me! But "bowl biscuits" isn't as catchy.

I always forget how much I love these until I make them. They remind me of monkey bread, but they're much less sticky. They're easier to make and eat, too. And, personally, I find them tastier.
The most important part of the recipe, to take a page from Paula Deen's book, is not to run short on the butter! You dip the biscuits in it, but you also pour the remaining butter over the biscuits before baking, so don't skimp.

You can serve these on a plate like I have in the picture, but...c'mon. They're so much better right out of the pan, where they can sit and soak in the butter!

Brown Bag Biscuit Recipe

  • 3/4 c sugar
  • 1 + 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • 1/4 t allspice
  • 1/4 t ginger
  • 6 tbsp butter, melted
  • 1 container of biscuits

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 400
  • Spray a 9x9 cake pan well with Pam.
  • In a small bowl, melt the butter.
  • In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients.
  • Cut the biscuits in 1/2 if small biscuits, or 1/4 if larger biscuits.
  • Dip the biscuit pieces in butter, then drop into the bowl with the spices. Coat well.
  • Line pieces up in a single layer in the cake pan as you go.
  • Once finished, sprinkle the remaining spices over the biscuits, then drizzle remaining butter.
  • Bake 10-12 minutes, until brown, or when the center biscuit is done.
  • Note: You can serve these on a plate as I've done in the picture, but they're better right out of the pan, where they get to sit and soak up the extra butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment