Saturday, April 17, 2010

Luscious Lemon Bars

My two favorite things in the baking world are recipes that involve a) cinnamon, and b) lemon.

Since I've used cinnamon lately, I thought I'd switch to lemon!

These are your basic lemon bars-- but I've never made them from scratch before! It's always the stuff that comes in the box, where all you do is add liquid (and maybe an egg) and then bake.

To be honest, these tasted just like the ones out of the box. Unless you have the desire to actually make them from scratch, save the money (and time!) and just use the box.

This was fun! And the whole house smells soooo good! It really only took me about 40 minutes to make this-- and that includes baking and clean-up time. And the house smells SO GOOD! (:

And I've never had a chance to cut and squeeze the juice from a lemon before-- I've really just never had a reason to do so. And I FINALLY got to use the trick that I picked up from Rachael Ray 2-3 years ago: Squeeze the juice out cut-side up to keep the seeds from falling into the mixture!
Lemon Bars Recipe
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 7 tbsp unsalted butter, chilled and diced
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • Topping Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 lemon -- The finely grated rind, and juice, of
  • 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • Powdered sugar for topping (which I ALWAYS overdo by accident!)

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 350°
  • Grease the inside of an 8in square cake pan
  • Using a food processor (I used an electric mixer, which was more work) blend the flour, butter, and powdered sugar.
  • When it "comes together as a firm dough" press it into the pan, and spread smooth.
  • Bake 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Leave in the tin to cool.

Topping Preparation

  • Whisk the eggs in a bowl until frothy.
  • Add the sugar, a little at a time, and whisk until fully blended.
  • Whisk in the lemon rind, lemon juice, flour, and baking soda.
  • Pour over the cookie base, and bake for 20-25 minutes, until set and golden.
  • Leave to cool in the pan.
  • Once slightly cooled, cut into bars (recipe says 12, I made 36 by doing smaller bites) and sprinkle with powdered sugar.


1 comment:

  1. I love me some lemon
    The poor lemon - associated with life's hardships.
    Long ago the lemon symbolized Longevity, Purification, Love, Friendship

    ReplyDelete